How do I complete the form W-8BEN?
Form W-8BEN establishes that you are not a United States citizen or an owner or foreign partner receiving a beneficial share in the income for which Form W-8BEN is being provided. Instructions for completing form W-8BEN are available from the IRS. The following summary may be helpful:
- Provide your individual or organizational name and your country of incorporation on lines 1 and 2.
- Check a single box on line 3 to indicate the individual, organizational, or corporate form of the beneficial owner.
- Provide your permanent address on line 4 and, if different, your mailing address on line 5. (Do not use a P.O. Box or an "in-care-of" address as a permanent address.)
- Fill out your taxpayer-identification number, your foreign tax-identifying number, and any useful reference numbers that may assist the payer or withholding agent on lines 6, 7, and 8.
- Fill in the applicable boxes on lines 9a through 9e to certify that you are eligible for tax-treat benefits as a resident of the foreign country that you name on line 9a.
- Follow Form W-8BEN's instructions to provide any additional information that applies to you, with explanations, on line 10.
- Check the box on line 11 and attach the appropriate statement if there are notional-principal contracts producing income that are not effectively connected with a business or trade conducted in the United States.
- Sign and date the form, and return it to ECCU.